Premature Labor, a Guest Post by Anonymous

At Three Ladies and Their Babies, we try to talk about all kinds of different pregnancies, labors, or fertility issues. When we heard about this woman’s story, we thought it was remarkable and we asked if she wouldn’t mind sharing it with our readers. She thanked us for the opportunity to share her story and she also requested that her identity remain anonymous. Sadly, this is due to the fact that she’s received some harsh criticism from people for not knowing she was still expecting. I don’t know why anybody would ridicule a person for that, and it saddens me that that’s the case.  I hope you enjoy reading her story. 

My periods have always been so regular you could set a clock by them so when I missed one, I became concerned. I took a few home pregnancy tests which all came out positive. I went to Genesys Hospital’s (in Grand Blanc, Michigan) OB/GYN clinic to confirm it, which they did.

A little over a week later I woke up on a Saturday morning to a horrible mess. I can honestly say I have never seen as much blood as I did that morning. I called Genesys and spoke with the OB on call. He informed me (over the phone) that he had my chart and that I was only 5 weeks along and that I was now miscarrying. He said that as long as I didn’t soak more than 4 pads an hour,  I should be fine and to follow up with them on Monday. Monday morning I called to see what I needed to do. They informed me that since the bleeding had slowed,  I had definitely miscarried (again, this was all said over the phone). The receptionist apologized and said I could go on with life.

Because this was not planned I immediately went to Planned Parenthood and got a prescription for a birth control pill. From mid-September 2012 until January 11, 2013 I lived a normal life. I took the pill religiously.

January 11 found me waking up to my alarm in a puddle of clear fluid. I thought I peed my bed. When I got up and it wasn’t stopping, I became scared and went to Genesys ER. I spent 4 hours in that worthless ER with them telling me I had a spinal injury that was making me lose control of my bladder. They came to this conclusion, even though my reflexes were perfect, I had no pain, and I could move my back every way they asked. They had asked for a urine sample which I supplied but it stayed in the room with me the whole time, even though I told them about miscarrying back in September and that it was possible I was pregnant again.

Finally, after 4 hours, a new doctor came in and felt my stomach. He informed me I didn’t miscarry because he felt a football in my stomach. They hooked me up to the monitor and said I was approximately 20-24 weeks and that my water had broken. They said they would have to move me to Hurley Medical Center (in Flint, Michigan) where they would have to deliver the baby that day because, “a baby can’t stay in there after your water breaks.” He also informed me  that I was way too early in the pregnancy for the baby to survive.

I arrived at Hurley approximately one hour later. Upon arriving I was examined, had blood drawn, and had nurses in with me making sure I was comfortable. The high risk OB came in and said I would be on bed rest for as long as possible (hopefully reaching 30 weeks). I told him what the “doctor” at Genesys had told me. He said, “I don’t know what kind of medicine they are practicing over there, but here we are in the process of saving babies”.

I spent 4 weeks on bed rest at Hurley. On February 6, right after dinner, I started feeling icky. I was having cramps and hurt all over. This went on overnight. February 7 at approximately 8 am the doc informed me my baby’s heart rate kept dipping and not rebounding fast enough and therefore I was being taken to the OR for an emergency c-section.

My baby girl was delivered at 9:28 am weighing 2 lb 2 oz. Her dad got to take one picture of her before they rushed her off to the NICU. She spent 2 months there with many ups and downs. I won’t get into them here, but I will say I would have never survived that time without two very wonderful NICU nurses caring for me, as well as my baby, and my closest friend and sister.

My daughter came home on April 16 on an apnea monitor and oxygen. Because of preemies’ weakened immune systems and lungs they are not advised to be taken anywhere for at least 6 months. This includes the grocery store, the mall, basically anywhere with people. I didn’t get that time when she came home to take her out and show her off, but I got something much more rewarding; I got 3 weeks with just her and I together bonding.

Anyone going through having a preemie needs support. It will take approximately 1-1 1/2 years for my daughter to catch up to a full term baby. Currently she is a healthy, striving 9 month old (6 month old, had she been born on time). I hate all the suffering she had to go through but I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for anything. The whole ordeal taught me how strong I was.

We want to thank this woman again for sharing her story with us.  We are so thankful that her story has had a happy outcome and that her little girl is healthy.  She has nothing but love and support from the Three Ladies.  🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s