There are some foods that are just staples of a season. This time of year pumpkin flavored foods are everywhere! There are pumpkin flavored coffees, cakes, roasted pumpkin seeds and much more. However, none say “fall” to me quite like a pumpkin roll made just right. I’ve had some pumpkin rolls in the past that are too filled with spice and others that the cream filling just wasn’t quite right, but this recipe I am sharing is the perfect balance of sweet and pumpkin.
For the cake you will need:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
For the filling you will need:
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Directions for preparing:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients for the cake mixture into a large bowl.
3. Whisk the ingredients together.
4. Line a jelly roll pan with wax paper. (I was out of wax paper and instead used aluminum foil. I sprayed the foil with Pam.)
5. Pour the cake mixture into the lined jelly roll pan.
6. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
7. While the cake is baking, sprinkle an unfolded dish towel with powdered sugar.
8. After the cake has baked, invert it on top of the powdered towel and detach it from the the wax/foil lining.
9. Slowly and gently roll the cake up into the powdered towel and place in the refrigerator to cool.
10. While the cake is cooling, begin making the filling. Combine the filling in a bowl and mix until it becomes a frosting consistency.
11. After the cake has cooled, gently unroll it, and spread the filling mixture evenly across it.
12. Gently roll the cake back up.
13. Enjoy! (Note: The pumpkin roll must be refrigerated.)
With a little time and by following these step by step instructions, you can make a pumpkin roll that is sure to get rave reviews from any crowd. It’s both a beautiful dessert and has the perfect fall taste. I hope you enjoy this recipe. I can guarantee that the finished product will be a pumpkin roll that’s gone almost as soon as it’s served.