My favorite season is upon us and all things pumpkin are en vogue. From pumpkin picking, to pumpkin carving, to pumpkin eating, we are abuzz with excitement over the beautiful seasonal vegetable. When trying to decide how to make the perfect seasonal dessert with pumpkin, I always look for a dish that’s also pleasing to the eye. Years ago I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle and the rest has been history. It’s a beautiful dish, but most importantly, it tastes fantastic! I give you Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle:
You will need:
2 (14 ounce) packages of gingerbread mix
1 (5.1 ounce) box cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
- Bake the gingerbread according to the directions on the box and allow it to cool completely. I usually do this in the morning and just leave it to cool until I’m ready to make the trifle in the afternoon.
- Prepare the vanilla pudding and set it aside to cool. It’s a good idea to make this while the gingerbread is baking and then leave it in the fridge to chill until you’re ready to complete the trifle.
- When the gingerbread has cooled and the pudding has chilled, stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cinnamon into the pudding.
- Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread.
- Add a layer of whipped topping.
- Repeat the pattern with the remaining gingerbread, pudding and whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the top of the trifle with crushed or whole gingersnaps for decoration.
Allow the trifle to cool in the refrigerator overnight. It will be ready to enjoy the next day. Each time I’ve made this for a party or family gathering, it has received rave reviews. It has the perfect fall taste and is a dish that’s pretty enough to take anywhere. I hope you enjoy!