There are wonderful things happening here in the mountains of East Tennessee. Berries! There are fresh berries in season and they are plentiful. Last weekend, my Mother in law, daughter, and I went out for an early morning trip to our local farmers market. Amongst many other fruits and vegetables, my favorite find was the black raspberries. I purchased 4 quarts of them. I had a specific purpose in mind when I bought them. Black raspberry jam. Yum! This is the recipe I use for homemade black raspberry jam.
You will need:
- 4 quarts of mashed black raspberries (1 gallon)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 lemon zested and juiced.
- 2 tablespoons powdered pectin (I used Ball’s flex pectin)
- 9 half pint jars
1. Mash berries. A potato masher works well for this. It’s best to only mash a bowl full of the berries at a time instead of all at once so that they are mashed well.
2. In large pot, combine 6 cups of the berry mixture, the lemon – juiced and zested, and 3 cups of sugar.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly.
4. As the mixture boils, skim the foam that develops off into a separate bowl.
5. When the jam has thickened a bit and the boil can’t be stirred down, sprinkle in the pectin and stir it in to the mixture. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 5-8 minutes until the jam has thickened.
6. Remove the jam from the heat. Ladle the jam into clean canning jars. Wipe the jam from the rims of the jar to ensure proper sealing. Apply the canning lids.
7. Gently place jars into a large pot of boiling water.
8. Boil for 10 minutes. Ensure that water is completely covering the lids.
9. After removing the jars from the boil, gently place on a large towel. Allow the jars to cool on the towel. Listen for the cans to seal. Some jars will seal within minutes while others take hours. You’ll know the jars have sealed by the notorious popping sound they make when they finally seal.
This black raspberry jam recipe is simple, quick, and yummy. I enjoy the canning process and even more importantly, I like using fresh ingredients to make home made goodies. The combination of this recipe and fresh berries, is a win every single time! I hope you enjoy it too!